Enough of the future lets discuss the past, last nights pairing of Wayne Gretzky' Red Cask Whiskey. I first happened along this bottle in Ontario last fall and it has been a clear favorite in our casa since. I am about one drink away from ending the bottle so luckily I will be heading back to Ontario at the end of the month and surely a bottle or two will be making the trip back with me.
I selected the WG99 to go with my GotF JJ because when I had this cigar before, I did not match it particularly well. The scotch was very peaty and it kind of muddled the flavors of each.
So I wanted to select a whisky that had a bit of spice, and some sweet, but not the deepness in flavor that an aged whisky can sometimes bring. To me the WG99 has elements of a Dalmore 12 but lighter on the palate.
The GotF lands right in the sweet spot of a medium cigar for me. With hits of leather, nuttiness, sweetness and spice I figured it would be a great match up for No.99.
On the Hot or Not Pairing Scale it was......
- Complimentary Flavors: Spice, sweetness, fruity, nutty
- Construction on the cigar: No relights, excellent burn line, smooth draw
- Burn time about 70 minutes
- Dont over ice, I did, made the last third of the whisky too diluted
- Last third didnt have much in the way of flavor changes, stayed on one note of spice for me
Wayne Gretzky Estates:
Thanks for reading! If there are pairings you think I should try, please fire me a message or hit me up on @run2smoke on Instagram!